Municipal Planning Development Planning Special Projects

Doing Any Shoreline Work? Don’t Forget Your Permit From TSW


Cottage season is upon us again! Do you live or have a cottage in the Kawartha Lakes or the Southern Muskokas? Are you looking to do some shoreline work this season? If your property abuts any of the lakes or rivers on the Trent-Severn Waterway system, you must obtain a permit for such common shoreline structures as a dock, boathouse, shorewall, launch ramp or even a water intake pipe or heat pump loop.

The Trent-Severn Waterway is a federal canal system that was constructed between 1833 and 1920. In-water and shoreline works on or above the beds of the waterbodies that make up the waterway is regulated by the provisions in the Historic Canals regulations. This regulation stipulates that no development or work shall occur without written permission. All applications must conform to the requirements in the Parks Canada Policies for In-Water and Shoreline Works and Related Activities.

To obtain a permit from Parks Canada, the basic submission requirements include a deed, property survey, a detailed project sketch, photos of the work site and the application fee. Some types of works and structures may be subject to further environmental assessment under the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and/or licensing requirements under the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act. It is important that an application for in-water and shoreline works is completed correctly and with all of the required information in order to expedite the review process.

You can obtain a copy of the permit application form and the Policies for In-Water and Shoreline Works and Related Activities here.

Leave a Reply